St. Paul Street Evangelization
Travels from Royal Oak, Michigan
Contact St. Paul Street Evangelization
St. Paul Street Evangelization is a grassroots, non-profit organization, dedicated to responding to the mandate of Jesus to preach the Gospel to all nations by taking the Catholic Faith to the streets. Christ’s call to evangelize was made to every Catholic Christian, and the Second Vatican Council reiterated this need, urging each of the baptized to bring the Gospel, found fully in the Catholic Church, to a culture that has largely reverted to paganism. As an on-the-street Catholic evangelization organization, St. Paul Street Evangelization provides an avenue for people to share the Person of Jesus Christ and the truth and beauty of the Catholic Faith with a hungry culture.
Founded in May 2012, St. Paul Street Evangelization provides the tools and resources for Catholics to engage the culture in a simple, non-confrontational method of evangelization which involves making themselves available to the public to answer questions about the faith and to pray with those who request it. SPSE has had tremendous growth and now has teams throughout the United States and even internationally, such as in the Philippines and Australia.
Armed with a simple sign, pamphlets and Rosaries, SPSE evangelists take to the streets, going wherever people are gathered – on a street corner, at a festival, or even at a football game. Our teams always begin in prayer. Unlike some forms of street evangelism which seek to forcibly proselytize those passing by (for example, by yelling, displaying confrontational signs, or preaching loudly at no one in particular), SPSE employs a non-confrontational method, maintaining a peaceful presence and allowing people to approach if they choose. Initial contact is limited to a friendly greeting and an offer of a free Rosary, but the evangelist never tries to force anyone to stop and talk.
St. Paul Street Evangelization has found this non-confrontational approach to be very effective at strengthening the faith of practicing Catholics, bringing back into the Faith fallen away Catholics, and clearing up misconceptions about the Faith held by non-Catholics. While it is the mission of SPSE to work with God for the conversion of the whole world to the Catholic Faith, SPSE evangelists recognize that it is only their job to plant seeds, and in the end, it is up to God to make those seeds grow.
Some Basic Presentations:
- Steve Dawson's Conversion Story (45 minutes). Steve Dawson's powerful conversation story and the story of how St. Paul Street Evangelization came to be.
- Conversational Evangelization (45 minutes). Building long term relationships with others is one of the most effective ways to evangelize, however 2 minute conversations can change, and even save, lives too. We will talk about how our behavior and the way we interact with others in everyday life can be a catalyst for conversion.
- 10 Ways You Can Be an Amazing Evangelist Right Now (90 Minute Talk & Discussion). Great for parish retreats! Learn 10 practical ways you can be a great evangelist that anyone can do. Every participant will leave with tools they can start incorporating into everyday life immediately. Includes time for discussion.
- Introduction to St. Paul Street Evangelization (60 Minute Talk). An overview of the New Evangelization, its history, and how St. Paul Street Evangelization is bringing about the fruits of the New Evangelization in a dying culture.
- Effective Tools for Parish & Diocesan Evangelization (120-180 Minute Talk). Great for parish & diocesan staff! Take hands on exercises to learn what is keeping your parish or diocese from thriving in the New Evangelization. Identify road blocks, learn about practical tools from what others are doing, and set goals for your group.
Steve Dawson, President, National Director
After a powerful conversion to the Catholic faith in 2002, Steve has been active in various Catholic ministries and in leadership positions in the pro-life movement. Steve also spent time discerning religious life, spending 14 months with the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate, before discerning his call to work for the Church as a layman. As founder and National Director of St. Paul Street Evangelization, he has been featured on EWTN Television and Radio, Catholic Answers Live, Catholic Connection, the Radio Maria Network, Sirius Satellite Radio, Archangel Radio as well as in several Catholic news publications.
Adam Janke, Vice President, Program Director
After converting to Catholicism from biblical fundamentalism, he obtained his BA in Theology and Catechetics from Franciscan University of Steubenville. While working as a full time Director of Religious Education and Coordinator of Youth Ministry, he also obtained his Masters in Theology & Christian Ministry from Franciscan. He has been active not only in parish ministry, but also serves as a team member for Lansing 40 Days for Life and diocesan coordinator of the National March for Life. Adam has been featured on EWTN Television and Radio, the Radio Maria Network, The Son Rise Morning Show, The Mike Allen Show, as well as in several Catholic news publications. He resides in Michigan with his wife and four children.